Friday, August 1, 2008

Ethical dilemma in hospitality

I just read this story about how a U.S. Senator says the Chinese government is ordering foreign-owned hotels to install software so that authorities can monitor the Internet activity of guests.

My first reaction as a red-blooded, apple-pie-eating, baseball-watching American was to say, "Well, too bad! American companies should put their foot down. If I had an extension of my company in China, I wouldn't bend my ethics."

But then I remember that this is the hospitality industry. Governmental spying (while becoming more popular) is frowned upon in this country, but that is how China operates. And the hospitality industry is founded on being just that—hospitable. So, if you build a hotel in another country, it is only right to abide by their social mores and laws. It's not like they made you build a hotel there.

I just think it's an interesting ethical dilemma. Could you run your business in a manner counter to your own ethics? Are there even alternatives since the government says there will be punishment for non-compliance? Am I making too big of a deal out of this?

No comments: